Bethany Baby Booties Free Knitting Pattern
Skill Level: Easy
Size Directions are for infant’s size 6 mos.
Completed Booties Measure: Length of foot – 3.5"
You will need:
- 1 ball Berroco Suede Yarn, shown in Hopalong Cassidy and small amount of contrast color for ties
- Size US 4 straight knitting needles
- Size G (4.5mm) crochet hook
Gauge: 25 sts = 4”; 50 rows = 4” in Ridge Pat on size 4 needles.
- With straight needles, using MC, cast on 44 sts.
- Rows 1 and 2: Knit.
- Rows 3 and 4: Purl. Rep these 4 rows 4 times more, end on WS. Rep Rows 1 and 2 once more.
- Dec Row 1: (P2 tog) 10 times, p to end – 34 sts.
- Dec Row 2: Rep Dec Row 1 – 24 sts. Mark beg and end of last row for beg of instep.
- Rep Rows 1-4 a total of 3 times more, end on WS (12 rows). Rep Rows 1 and 2 once more.
- Shape Toe: Dec Row 3: P1, p2 tog, p to last 3 sts, p2 tog, p1 – 22 sts. Purl 1 row.
- Dec Row 4: K1, SSK, k to last 3 sts, k2 tog, k1 – 20 sts. Knit 1 row.
- Dec Row 5: * K2 tog, rep from * across – 10 sts.
- Dec Row 6: Rep Dec Row 5 – 5 sts. Bind off all sts.
Fold cast-on edge of bootie in half and sew edges tog for back seam. Fold bound-off edge of bootie in half and sew edges tog for toe, then continue to sew side edges of bootie tog up to markers – this forms the instep seam of bootie. Fold open side edge of bootie down to outside to form cuff.
Cut one 7” long strand of MC. Fold strand in half. With crochet hook, draw center of strand through first st of cuff forming a lp. Pull ends of fringe through lp. In this manner, make fringe around entire edge of cuff. Trim fringe to desired length.
Note: For speedier cutting, wrap yarn multiple times around a piece of cardboard that is the desired finished length of the fringe. Cut the lower edge to free wrapped strands. Thread a strand of CC onto tapestry needle and weave in and out around top edge of bootie under cuff for drawstring. Tie at front as in photo.