How to Knit Socks from the Toe-Up
Bottoms-Up! The Toe-Up Socks Knit Along
Ready to learn a few new skills and up your knitting game? Then join me as we knit along together to create cushy pair of socks the toe-up way!
We won't need to be a whiz with double pointed needles or the magic loop either. For this knit along, we'll learn to use 2 circular needles to work those small areas, create a seamless toe, a no-gusset (i.e. easy) heel and the perfect stretchy bind-off worked with reverse yarnovers. This is going to be one of the easiest and fastest socks ever!
As a bonus, the sock pattern is included. It's a basic straightforward sock and fun to knit. I'm betting it's a pattern you'll use time and again. You'll have several yarns to choose from, too!
Having a bit of experience is a plus but not required. Socks are much easier than you would think and, as always, we'll have lots of images and helpful tips to help in navigating the tricky spots.
What You'll Learn
- "Judy's Magic Cast-On" for a smooth inside and out, seamless toe.
- Working with 2 circular needles
- Creating the heel flap
- Turning and shaping the heel flap without gussets
- Working the leg and cuff
- Learning the reverse yarn over
- Binding-off with "Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off"
What You'll Need
- 1 skein of sock yarn. We recommend any the following yarns and they are available 15% OFF at NobleKnits until February 23, 2017. Use code: BOTTOMSUP at checkout.
- Two size US 2 circular needles 9" or longer
- 2 locking stitch markers (each a different color)
- Finishing needle
- Optional: 16" length of scrap yarn (lifeline for trying on toe)
- Optional: small length of scrap yarn for use in identifying cast-on needle sequence
- DOWNLOAD Universal Yarn Basic Toe Up Socks Free Knitting Pattern (note: the pattern uses double pointed needles, but we'll be knitting ours on circular needles as written above).
How Do I Follow Along
All of the posts will be on the here on the NobleKnits Blog. Add a bookmark! Join the KAL group on Ravelry. Be sure to follow nobleknits on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook. Use the hashtag #BottomsUpKAL to follow the knit along or post pictures of your progress.
So mark your calendar, choose your fiber and join me on Thursday, February 16th as we knit the easiest socks ever...Bottoms Up!
- Knit Doc Donna, your friendly knitting doctor