Knitting Tip: Natural Ways to Protect Your Knitwear
Easy DIY Project: Create Natural & Fragrant Moth Repellents for your Hand Knits
Aah! For a knitter there's no feeling quite like the feeling of gratification created by crafting that perfect project. You know, the garment that you love to touch and wear again and again.
To ensure you'll get to treasure that garment for years, you'll want to make sure it isn't a tasty treat for moths and critters. You could of course always use mothballs, but If you can't quite love that lingering pungent aroma, here's an alternative that is not only pleasantly spicy but pretty and gift worthy too.
It's a snap to put together, so let's head to the kitchen pantry and get started.
What You'll Need
- 1 Cup Whole Peppercorns or Mixed Peppercorns (shown)
- 1 Cup Whole Cloves
- 1 Cup Whole Allspice
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks (optional)
- 1/4 Cup Lemon or Orange Peel (optional)
How to Use
After combining the ingredients there are several ways the mixture can be used. Here's what I'm thinking of:
- Fill a festive bowl, add some pine cones or evergreen sprigs and display during the holiday season.
- Scoop 1/4 to 1/2 cup into a pretty fabric square, tie with ribbon and tuck anywhere your knits hang out.
- BONUS! Knit a Little Drawstring Sachet Free Knitting Pattern
- Donna, the Knitting Doctor