Cabled Bag Knit Along - Final Wrap Up!
I decided to line my cabled bag, so I headed in to my local fabric store. I LOVE the Amy Butler fabrics and had a hard time choosing, but I finally settled on a floral chintz in chocolate, kiwi, pink and cream - so pretty!
I went with the Amy Butler Daisy Chain Collection. The fabrics I bought were Deco Rose 3/4 yard and Mosaic 1/4. I have a little of the Deco Rose left over. I want to make a little coordinating notions pouch using the two fabrics at a later date.
Here's where you can buy Amy Butler Fabrics
- Natural Expressions, my local fabric shop
- Fat Quarter Shop, online retailer
- Sew, Mama, Sew, onlne retailer
I chose this fabric because it will add a surprise of color when I open the bag.
Before I sew the lining, I have to attach the handles. One advantage of the cables is the make it REALLY easy to line up your handles. When you lay the bag flat, there are three cables on each side. Simply place one handle end over the first cable and the other cable end over the third cable. Sew in place. I was out of yarn so I used 4 strands of thread and I whip-stitched the handles onto the bag. When that was done, I turned the bag over and attached the other handle the same way.
Here's how I added the lining:
- I cut fabric for the lining 38" wide by 17"
- Then, I folded the fabric with the Right Sides facing each other and sewed a side seam.
- I pressed the seams out.
- Then, sewed along the bottom edge.
- I folded the top edge under approximately 1" and pressed.
- I pinned the top edge in place evenly around the top edge of the bag (as shown in photo above.)
- Then, I sewed the lining in place around the top edge.