Reasons to LOVE the three needle bind off:
- It provides a clean non-bulky shoulder.
- Gives garments a professional finish.
- No extra yarn ends to weave in
- Bind off and join shoulders all at the same time.
- It makes you look like a knitting genius!
Let's get started!
Turn your garment Inside-Out with the RIGHT SIDES facing each other. Slip stitches that were held by a stitch holder onto a spare needle (the needle size does not matter). Now hold up the stitches from the FRONT and BACK shoulders in your left hand. See photo below.
We are going to bind off in Purl stitch, the ONLY difference is you will be going through one stitch from back needle and one stitch from front needle. I'm going to write this out STEP by STEP.
- Using a third needle, insert needle into one stitch from back needle as if to purl and then into one stitch from front needle as if to purl.
- Purl both stitches and remove them from left needles.
- Repeat Step 1 and 2, then pass the previous stitch over this stitch.
- Repeat Steps 1-3 across shoulder. Reattach yarn and work remaining shoulder.
- Fasten off and weave in all yarn ends.
Here is my daughter's vest before picking up around sleeves and neck.