Ultimate Guide to Baby Blankets
How to Knit the Perfect Baby Blanket in 3 Easy Steps
With this Ultimate Guide to Baby Blankets, you'll be able to choose the right size blanket, what yarn to use, and how many stitches to cast on. That's it! Just 3 easy steps, no matter what yarn you choose!
How to Plan the Perfect Baby Blanket in 3 Easy Steps
Baby blankets are special projects and choosing the necessary materials should be fun and easy. Here’s the formula to select the blanket, yarn, and start knitting in 3 easy steps!
How Big Should My Blanket Be?
This is a question that comes up a lot and one I've even asked myself. Which size is the right one? There are sizes for carriers/car seats, receiving blankets, stroller covers, full size crib blankets and somewhere in between. To select just the right size and materials begin with Step 1.
Step 1: Choose Baby Blanket Size, Yarn Weight and Yardage
This is where you will also get to choose the weight of the yarn you would like to use and determine the approximate yardage for your chosen size.
To choose, take a look at the guidelines below. When considering a specific pattern you can still use these guidelines to judge how many ways your blanket will be used. Better yet, if creating your own design, you'll know the "suggested" dimensions and approximately how much yarn you'll need.
How Much Yarn Will I Need?
Carrier/Car Seat Size Blanket 24 x 24"
- 3 stitches per inch/Bulky 230 yards
- 4 stitches per inch/Chunky 325 yards
- 5 stitches per inch/Worsted 410 yards
- 6 stitches per inch/DK 580 yards
Stroller Size Blanket 30 x 30"
- 3 stitches per inch/Bulky 428 yards
- 4 stitches per inch/Chunky 610 yards
- 5 stitches per inch/Worsted 770 yards
- 6 stitches per inch/DK 1090 yards
Receiving Blanket 34 x 36"
- 3 stitches per inch/Bulky 580 yards
- 4 stitches per inch/Chunky 830 yards
- 5 stitches per inch/Worsted 1050 yards
- 6 stitches per inch/DK 1480 yards
Crib Size Blanket 36 x 52"
- 3 stitches per inch/Bulky 890 yards
- 4 stitches per inch/Chunky 1270 yards
- 5 stitches per inch/Worsted 1600 yards
- 6 stitches per inch/DK 2260 yards
Step 2: What Yarn Can I Use for a Baby Blanket?
Now that you've selected your blanket size, yarn gauge and yardage, it's time to select the project yarn. Merely locate your gauge below and select your fiber from the list. It's that easy!
3-4 Stitches per Inch /Bulky-Chunky
5 Stiches per Inch/Worsted
Step 3: How Many Stitches Should I Cast On?
- Refer to the size baby blanket you chose in step 1.
- Take the completed width measurement and multiply it by the number of stitches per inch. That's your cast on number!
- For example: Let's say I'm going to knit the Stroller Size Blanket which measures 30" x 30". I've chosen to knit it in a Worsted Weight: 5 stitches. per inch. All I need to do is multiply 30 (width measurement) x 5 (stitches per inch) = 150 stitches to cast on. Start knitting and bind off when you reach the required length. In this case, it's 30 inches.
- Use the needle size suggested on the yarn label. Now cast on and create!
This guide is also available as a free printable so you can download it and keep it in your knitting bag for easy reference.